The Earl Mayer Memorial Blackhawk Mile
- The 3rd Annual Blackhawk Mile will be a one mile race/run/walk down historic Blackhawk Avenue in downtown Prairie du Chien, WI on Friday, June 7, 2013 at 7 p.m.
- Runners and walkers will experience a flat to slight downhill course towards the beautiful Mississippi River.
- Participants registering by May 31 will receive a Cajun Fest t-shirt, a drink ticket to be used at the Cajun Fest, water at the start and finish, a really good time, and the joy of knowing you helped in the research to stop this ugly disease. Registering after May 31, 2013 or on site may include an additional charge.
- Family entry fee is $40 – children must be 12 and under – includes three t-shirts only. Please fill out a separate registration form for each person but turn them in together.
- Race registration and number pick up will be near the finish line at the ballpark on the West end of Blackhawk Ave.
- Pre-race, participants will have the option of walking or jogging to the start, or taking a shuttle. Shuttles will leave the registration area at 6:35 p.m. and 6:50 p.m.
- Timing will be by hand, so runners will be directed into chutes at the finish and a portion of their number taken for timing. We also hope to have a clock available at the finish, large enough to help runners self-time.
- Prizes will be awarded to the first place finishers, male & female, in the following categories:
Awards will also be given to the runner with the best sun hat and the runner with the best costume.
||going into 8th grade and below
||going into 12th grade and below
||older than high school age
About the Earl Mayer Memorial Blackhawk Mile
The inaugural running of the Blackhawk Mile was held June 10, 2011 at 7 p.m. in memory of Earl Mayer, a Prairie du Chien native. Earl died as the result of a skin cancer - malignant melanoma - which then spread to other organs and caused his untimely death.
Earl loved competition of any kind, but never took it or himself very seriously - we plan to follow in those footsteps. Costumes and sun hats are welcome and encouraged. Since the Cajun Fest is our sponsor, let that be your guide regarding costumes.
We are hoping to raise awareness of skin cancers - specifically malignant melanoma - as well as raise funds to research the cause and treatment of this deadly disease. Since Earl was a fun loving outdoors guy we hope to have a little fun as well.
The Cajun Fest is a two day celebration of Cajun food, drink and music. The event is held in conjunction with baseball tournaments, and any funds they raise go to help the baseball programs in Prairie du Chien. Plan on spending some time after the run enjoying some of your favorite Cajun dishes as well as good music, right at the finish line.